Thursday, September 20, 2012

Eve of elections - Governance at CCI closest to my heart

My dear fellow members of CCI

The last two weeks have been a great learning experience for me. The learning first commenced in 2007 December when I was allowed to read out a vision statement drafted by me at the AGM. It reads, as finally circulated to members through the President's letter in 2009, as for our club:

“To be a premier choice for members & their families to avail of sports and recreation facilities; encouraging participation, camaraderie, sportsmanship, networking, heritage, culture and appreciation of  cuisine and the sensible development of necessary facilities and services for the same, all at reasonable costs.”

In 2010 at the Cathedral School 150th celebration dinner, two ex-Cathedralites, also our club members, approx 10 years my junior approached me and suggested that I should stand for EC elections at our club. But the recommendation by them to me was that I should not be politically aligned with any group or persons.

I stood for elections last year 2011, proposed by 2 class mates of mine, both gents of international stature and far away from club politics. I filed my nomination rather late. However my KYC address to fellow members was well received and is at http://bit.ly/rdb_kyc I lost the election but the club and its members won themselves the first time ever Organizational Development Committee, a committee to help the club professionalize. What it may do in the years ahead is explained at http://bit.ly/odc_explained.

This year my candidature has been proposed by the  two ex-Cathedralites, also our club members, approx 10 years my junior and I have once again stood independently

1. To give the ODC's role a greater impetus as explained at http://bit.ly/rdb_kyc_2012 and http://bit.ly/rdb_kyc_2012_2

2. To encourage the process of developing candidates who will be willing to contest elections as independents in future, replacing politics with professionalism.

Another ex-Cathedralite, 10 years my senior and the Chairman of a group of the largest Charities in Mumbai, where I am a Trustee as well, expressed his concern to me that `independent candidates never win'.

Today, on the eve before the elections,  I do believe that he may be right. In my case I may not win. Not because some members do not know me, or do not appreciate my role for the benefit of our club, but because they do not trust my categorically declared independence of candidature.

If I WILL NOT COMPROMISE my stated position (ie. one of independence), today, for the benefit of getting more votes in my favour, how reasonable are the chances that I will not do so while representing member's interests on the EC, if elected and during my working tenure?

My dear fellow members. As I have mentioned in my KYC, `the good news is that choice is yours'. As long as our club wins, I am fully satisfied. For in any event, I am a winner!

Thank you for your love and affection, which I heartily reciprocate!

No comments:

Post a Comment